Here are a couple of nice little projects I have been working on ready for my autumn classes at the WEA in Leicester – a concertina flag card and a concertina card in a matchbox.
For the flag card I used some mint green card which I stencilled over with a snowflake stencil and Cracked Pistachio Distress ink. I decorated the front with a stamped sentiment (stamp by Stampendous) and the flags inside with some die cut words and snowflakes. I used seam binding for the ribbon tie which I coloured using Dylusions White Linen spray and more of the pistachio ink.
I used a large matchbox for my second card, one that had contained extra long matches, although you can use any size and they are fun to make and to receive! I started off by giving the ‘drawer’ a coat of acrylic paint then covered the sleeve with patterned paper. The concertina card inside was made with cream card that has been stamped with trees (Sheltering Tree by Stampin’ Up). The houses (stamp by Crafty Individuals) were stamped on separate card, coloured and cut out, then added to the card. I have also applied some Polar White Flowersoft below the houses and in the trees for snow. The final touch was to decorate the top of the box: I have added a stamped greeting, some die cut foliage and a little bell attached to linen thread.
It seems very odd to be posting these cards when we are expecting a heat wave in the UK over the next few days! But, yes, I have made a start on my Christmas cards. This is partly because I am currently planning for my card making courses in the Autumn term and partly because I wanted to try out some new stamps and dies I have recently bought. These are two of my favourites so far.
This card was quick and easy to make, using various shades of Distress Inks blended onto white card for the sky (I used a punched circle as a mask for the moon), and blending very lightly over strips of torn paper for the snowy hills at the bottom. Then I stamped the trees (Stampin’ Up Lovely as a tree) and the sentiment at the top (this was from Woodware’s Huge Snow set).
The final touch was to add the die cut deer (die by Tim Holtz) – this was cut from cream card and then coloured with Distress Inks.
For my second card I started off by stamping Watercolour wash background stamp by Stampin’Up using 3 different blue DIs. Then I applied texture paste through a snowflakes stencil over the top. In this instance I used translucent paste into which I had mixed some glitter. Unfortunately it was impossible to get a good photo to show up the glistening snowflakes. This close-up shows them slightly better.
I die cut the word ‘wonderland’ (die by Tim Holtz) four times from white card, coloured three of them with blue ink and then glued them one on top of the other with the white word on top.
I haven’t been able to take part in the Stampotique Designers Challenge for quite a while but I couldn’t resist the latest one which is to use stencils. Not only do I love using stencils but I have recently bought some of the new Dylusions acrylic paints which I wanted to try out. I started off brayering three colours of the paint randomly over white cardstock. When the paint had dried I stamped the image (La femme aux oiseaux by Carabelle Studio) and the word (Dovecraft) in black ink. Then I used a Crafter’s Workshop stencil (mini daisy cluster) and more paint to add the flowers. I had to do these in layers, allowing each layer to dry before adding the next. As a final touch I added some Glossy Accents to the word and the woman’s eyes and lips. I love the vibrant colours of these Dylusion paints and they dry beautifully flat and smooth, so great for stamping on!
I have been trying out some ideas using stencils to create backgrounds and here are a couple of cards using the results. I have used Distress Inks throughout to add colour.
I have used three stencils on this background: a clocks mask used all over, then the chevrons in two areas and in a different colour ink. Finally I used texture paste through a stencil for the numbers across the top.
The main image is one of Tim Holtz’s blueprint stamps.
For this card I used a chicken wire stencil and three colours on ink. While the stencil was still in place I stamped some text through randomly to add a little more texture.
Finished off with a stamped greeting and a die cut butterfly.
Both cards were relatively quick and easy to make – the most time spent waiting for things to dry!
Well the temperature is dropping and it’s time to get out the thermal vests and woolly jumpers! With that in mind here are a couple of winter warmers for him and her… in card form! I recently bought a Claritystamp stencil called ‘Cable Knit’ so thought it would be perfect for my cardigan and jumper cards.
The lady’s cardigan has a little greetings tag in the pocket.