Tag Archives: Hero Arts

SDC 111: purple, orange and yellow

Standard

???????????????????????????????

Last week’s challenge on the Stampotique Designers blog was a colour one – to use shades of purple, orange and yellow. I thought I would have a go at a technique featured in the latest edition of Craft Stamper magazine and to use a new Inkylicious stamp of poppies. I stamped the poppies onto white card using Memento ink and coloured the centres with Copic pens. Then I blended three Distress Inks – squeezed lemonade, spiced marmalade and dusty concord –  onto the card, then spritzed with water. While the card was wet I stamped a curly flourish stamp onto the background using Milled Lavender DI which had been tapped onto a craft sheet and spritzed with water. This created a lovely ‘wet in wet’ effect. When the card was dry I stamped the Inkylicious grasses along the bottom and the Hero Arts butterfly. finished off with a Tim Holtz chitchat sticker.

Advertisements

Sample book: pages 6 & 7

Standard
page 6

page 6p 6 close-up

Here are a couple more pages of my book.

On page 6 I have tried out an intriguing technique that was featured in a recent edition of Craft Stamper magazine: to create a crackled background using embossing powder. First of all you stamp, colour and cut out lots of different small images such as flowers, or butterflies as I have used here. Then, using a sheet of self-adhesive label (for inkjet printers), you cut a piece to size, remove the backing paper and arrange all your images onto the sticky side. Pour black embossing powder all over, ensuring that all the spaces between the images are covered, then heat as normal. The embossing powder reacts with the adhesive on the label sheet and crackles. The butterfly stamps are by Hero Arts.

I have used acetate for page 7  which I cut to size from the book’s packaging.  I was inspired to try out this technique after reading Helen Chilton’s acetate masterclass in the November Craft Stamper. I stamped onto the acetate using StayzOn ink and then embossed it with a Tim Holtz Texture Fade folder. Alcohol ink blending solution was then dribbled into the indentations on the back of the acetate, followed by various colours of alcohol ink. It was fun to do but very messy… it is difficult to control the blending solution and inks, they roll about all over the place, including all over my fingers!

page 7

page 7

A  good tip by the way: hand sanitizing gel is quite effective at removing alcohol inks from your hands.