I got together with some friends on Saturday to do some crafting. We were trying out some faux metal techniques and bokeh backgrounds which are popular at the moment. Here are a couple of cards I’ve made with some of my results.
I have used Distress Inks blended onto white card for both of these backgrounds, although you can use a variety of mediums to create this first step, such as watercolours or spray inks. Then sponge through circle templates with white ink (Brilliance or pigment). I cut my circles from a piece of acetate which is handy as you can see precisely where you are putting them, but you could use card instead. On this card I have stamped the Doc Marten boots (by Deep Red) in black, used a die cut greeting, and finally added a few sequins. I will probably send this card to one of my friends as she told me she has always fancied a pair of pink Doc Martens!
On my second card I have added a die-cut ‘umbrella man’ (die by Tim Holtz) which was cut from card which I had covered with aluminium tape. then I embossed it with an embossing folder and finally added some colour using alcohol inks.
Here are a couple more pages of my book.
On page 6 I have tried out an intriguing technique that was featured in a recent edition of Craft Stamper magazine: to create a crackled background using embossing powder. First of all you stamp, colour and cut out lots of different small images such as flowers, or butterflies as I have used here. Then, using a sheet of self-adhesive label (for inkjet printers), you cut a piece to size, remove the backing paper and arrange all your images onto the sticky side. Pour black embossing powder all over, ensuring that all the spaces between the images are covered, then heat as normal. The embossing powder reacts with the adhesive on the label sheet and crackles. The butterfly stamps are by Hero Arts.
I have used acetate for page 7 which I cut to size from the book’s packaging. I was inspired to try out this technique after reading Helen Chilton’s acetate masterclass in the November Craft Stamper. I stamped onto the acetate using StayzOn ink and then embossed it with a Tim Holtz Texture Fade folder. Alcohol ink blending solution was then dribbled into the indentations on the back of the acetate, followed by various colours of alcohol ink. It was fun to do but very messy… it is difficult to control the blending solution and inks, they roll about all over the place, including all over my fingers!
- page 7
A good tip by the way: hand sanitizing gel is quite effective at removing alcohol inks from your hands.
I bought a small, round chipboard book at a local shop recently – it was reduced to half price and so how could I resist? I have been debating what to do with it and decided that I am going to decorate each page with something new … that is, a technique or product that I have never used before. I have completed four pages so far:
On the first page the new technique I’ve used is to create a tissue tape background. I cut a circle of card and blended inks over it to colour, then covered the entire piece with tissue tape. I added the stamped and coloured image of the 2 women and an adage ticket attached to a memo pin. The flower trim has been coloured with Dylusions spray.
My second page has a background using Winsor & Newton iridescent medium. I bought some of this last November at the NEC and have just got around to using it! I painted the background with Distress Stains mixed with a little of the iridescent medium and also stamped with the medium around the edges of the page.
On page 3 I have gone all metallic! I saw this technique using aluminium tape in Craft Stamper quite a while ago and have been trying to find some of this tape ever since. Then recently I managed to find some in a local pound shop! The strip across the middle of the page is a piece of card to which I glued some grungepaper numbers and shapes. I then covered this with the metal tape and coloured it with alcohol inks. The flowers were made in a similar way: stick some tape onto card and stamp flowers using StayzOn ink. Cut them out and emboss with a Cuttlebug folder, then colour with alcohol inks.
I’ve used canvas as a background on page 4, and a technique that the owner of one of my local craft shops told me about a couple of days ago: paint the canvas with white Picket Fence Distress Stain and allow to dry; then use one or more colours of Distress Stains over the surface. I’ve decorated this page with an image of a girl (by Paper Whimsy) behind an acetate overlay, and finally some laser-cut flowers which I sprayed with Glimmermist. The small accents at the bottom are square jump rings glued onto patterned paper and then filled with Glosssy Accents dimensional glue. I added these partly for balance, BUT mainly to cover up a couple of unwanted glue marks!!